Wednesday 22 January 2014

The New Year Project : Body image


For today's post, the questions asked were: what don't you like about your body? What steps can you take towards accepting and maybe loving your body? 
It is quite hard for me to write about I guess. There are so many things I don't like about my appearance. I hate that my body isn't "feminine" enough. I hate that my eyebrows are too thick, my nose, the fact that I have chubby cheeks, my eyes, my chin, my skin. I really don't like my thighs or my feet. I either avoid mirrors or spend hours staring at myself and picking out the parts of myself that I hate and I can't leave the house without makeup on. But these aren't things that anyone should do. 
 We only have one life, one body and it's not going to change. The best thing for us to do is to embrace the parts that we like about ourselves and focus our attention more on what we are like as person rather than what we look like. Worrying about appearance and admitting that it's a big deal make me feel liked there might perceive me as being vain, but it's more than that. It's about not feeling comfortable in your own body, not feeling comfortable with who you are. It's about constantly thinking that your appearance can reflect your own self and that people will judge you because of it. Its even more than that but I don't really know how to put it in words.



This quote really stood out for me as I think it speaks so much truth. Accepting your imperfections (which everyone has it is perfectly normal) seem impossible to me because I do to know where to begin, I don't know how I would do it. It's as if every time you stand on front of the mirror you can see big bold writing scribbled across it reading UGLY. But it's not the mirror that's telling you that, it's not other people that show you what you see, it's yourself. Your own self is the one who is responsible for making you feel so insecure and low, yet you are the only one who has the power to realise how to love and accept your body. I, personally find it so difficult. Whenever I get close to it, it slips alway and I'm left with this feeling of guilt for doing it. I make myself feel like an idiot for thinking for one second that I would be okay with how I look. No one should have to feel that because it is pointless and doesn't do any good. Being happy is the best thing to be, because it will make you beautiful.
<3 Ellen xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment